Friday, January 12, 2018

NL-Day_013


GENESIS 24:
In Genesis 22, Isaac asked, “I see that you have the coals and the wood, but where is the lamb for the sacrifice?”

8 Abraham answered, “God himself will provide one.”

It is amazing to me that Moses adds the proverb, “even today people say, “On the Lord's mountain he provides.” In our time, we easily see how this points to the provision of the Lamb of God on the mountain called Calvary.

JOB 13:
As we saw in chapter 12, Job by now is pretty ticked off, starting off with,

“Yes, you are the voice of the people.
When you die, wisdom will die with you.

Note the irony Job points out:

4 Even my friends laugh at me now;
they laugh, although I am righteous and blameless;
but there was a time when God answered my prayers.
5 You have no troubles, and yet you make fun of me;
you hit someone who is about to fall.
6 But thieves and godless people live in peace,
though their only god is their own strength.

MARK 8b:
In yesterday's reading, Jesus fed the 4,000, and then the Pharisees demand a miraculous sign ‘showing God’s approval’— literally a sign ‘from heaven’. The reading yesterday ended with the disciples not understanding what Jesus meant by

15 “Take care,” Jesus warned them, “and be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and the yeast of Herod.”

GNT Translation notes:
[When you see [brackets] in my transdation notes, the first words inside the brackets are my translation suggestion. The words after the // slash marks are the GNT text.]
Gen. 24:33When food was brought, [Abraham’s servant//the man] said, “I will not eat until I have said what I have to say.”
65b “He is my master,” the servant answered. So she took her [veil//scarf] and covered her face.
====
Job 13:19 [O God,//] Are you coming to accuse me[ //, God]?
If you do, I am ready to be silent and die.
====
Mrk. 8:23 Jesus took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village. After [[applying his own spit to//spitting on] the man's eyes, Jesus placed his hands on him and asked him, “Can you see anything?”
[The Greek does actually say that Jesus ‘spit’ in the man's eyes, but to spit in someone's face is so objectionable that more than one translation softens this a bit!]
27 Then Jesus and his disciples went away to the villages near Caesarea Philippi. On the way he asked them, “Tell me, [What role do people say that I am fulfilling?”//Who do people say I am?”]
29 “What about you?” he asked them. “[What role do you say I am fulfilling?”//Who do you say I am?”]
[Normally in our language if Jesus said, “Who do people say I am,” the answer would be “Jesus.” Jesus was not asking about his name, so in most of the world’s languages this calls for a different question opener than ‘Who’.]
31 Then Jesus began to teach his disciples: “[I as the//The] Son of Man must suffer much and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the teachers of the Law. [I//He] will be put to death, but three days later [I//he] will rise to life.”
[In many of the world’s languages, verse 31 would be translated as above, to show that Jesus is not talking about some third person named the Son of Man, but about himself. Even in English, a man seldom talks about himself using the pronoun ‘he’.]

 

NLT Translation notes:
Mrk. 8:23 Jesus took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village. Then, [applying his own spit to//spitting on]  the man’s eyes, he laid his hands on him and asked, “Can you see anything now?”
[The Greek does actually say that Jesus 'spit' in the man's eyes, but to spit in someone's face is so objectionable that more than one translation softens this a bit!]
27 Jesus and his disciples left Galilee and went up to the villages near Caesarea Philippi. As they were walking along, he asked them, “[What do people say as to the position/role I am assuming?”//Who do people say I am?”]
[Normally in our language if Jesus said, “Who do people say I am,” the answer would be “Jesus”. Jesus was not asking about his name, so we need a different question opener than “Who”.]
28 “Well,” they replied, “some say [you are taking the position of] John the Baptist, some say [you are replacing] Elijah, and others say you are [filling the role of] one of the other prophets.”
29 Then he asked them, “[But in your opinion, whose position am I taking?”//But who do you say I am?”]

31 Then Jesus began to tell them that [he— as] the Son of Man, must suffer many terrible things and be rejected by the elders, the leading priests, and the teachers of religious law. He [said, “I will be] killed, but three days later [I will/he would] rise from the dead.
[The changes in this paragraph are made to show that Jesus is not talking about some third person named the Son of Man, but about himself. Even in English, a man seldom talks about himself using the pronoun 'he'.]


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment