Monday, July 17, 2017

NL-DBRP_199 2KI.24 2KI.25 PSA.135 JHN.16


2KINGS 24-25:
In yesterday’s reading, we heard of Josiah’s reforms, leading the people to renew the covenant with God. That chapter had this telling comment about the Passover:

2Kings 23:22 There had not been a Passover celebration like that since the time when the judges ruled in Israel, nor throughout all the years of the kings of Israel and Judah.

Many times I think people make the naive assumption that the people of Israel customarily performed all sorts of difficult commands in the Law— like the one about the Year of Jubilee. In my opinion, no way!

PSALM 135:
Olsen’s book gives the title for the chapter on this psalm as, “What kind of God do you have?” That’s a great question to ask to introduce this psalm!

JOHN 16:
At the end of chapter 14, Jesus mentioned leaving that ‘place’— the upper room, but Jesus’ teaching in chapters 15-16 fit so well with chapter 14 that they may have taken place in the upper room. This chapter includes more important teaching about the Holy Spirit— our Advocate, and important key concepts about prayer.

GNT Translation notes:
Ps. 135:1 Praise the Lord! Praise [him//his name], you servants of the Lord,  
3 Praise the Lord, because he is good; sing praises to [him/his name], because he is kind.  
14 [You,O Lord//The Lord] will defend [your//his] people; [You//he] will take pity on [your//his] servants.
====
John 16:13 When, however, the Spirit comes, who reveals the truth about God, he will lead you into [the full//all the] truth. He will not speak on his own authority, but he will speak of what he hears and will tell you of things to come.
23 “When that day comes, you will not ask me for anything. I am telling you the truth: the Father will give you whatever you ask of him [for the sake of my glory//in my name].
24 Until now you have not asked for anything [to glorify me//in my name]; ask and you will receive, so that your happiness may be complete.
26 When that day comes, you will [begin to//0] ask [the Father directly for things that glorify me//him in my name]; [You won’t need me to//and I do not say that I will] ask him on your behalf,
33 I have told [all these things to you who are joined as one with me, so that you will have peace.//you this so that you will have peace by being united to me.] The world will make you suffer. But be brave! I have defeated the world!”

NLT Translation notes:
John 16:23 At that time you won’t need to ask me for anything. I tell you the truth, you will ask the Father directly, and he will grant your request because you [pray for the sake of my glory//use my name].
24 You haven’t done this before. [Make requests for the sake of my glory//Ask, using my name], and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy.
26 Then you will [make requsts/ask] [for the sake of my glory//in my name]. I’m not saying I will ask the Father on your behalf,
31 Jesus [said/asked], “Do you finally believe?
33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace [because of being joined with//in me]. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment