Wednesday, July 12, 2017

NL-DBRP_194 2KI.15 2KI.16 PSA.130 JHN.14.1-21


2KINGS 15-16:
In yesterday’s reading, on the Israel (10 tribes) side, we heard of Jehoahaz's reign. He was helped by Elijah in his final prophecy.  Then the names started getting confusing, as we heard of Jehoahaz's son Johoash.

Also in yesterday’s reading we heard of Amaziah's reign in Judah. And it is confusing again because Amaziah's father was Joash, without any middle position h's. Amaziah was very unwise to insist on war with Jehoash.

PSALM 130:
Thas Psalm of Ascent is one of the most beautiful of all the psalms, and an expression of hope for anyone in despair.

JOHN 14a:
In John 13 we heard of Jesus taking the role of a servant and washing the disciples’ feet. Judas left the upper room, and Peter was told that he would deny knowing Jesus three times.

GNT Translation notes:
John 14:10 Do you not believe, Philip, that I am [joined as one to//in] the Father and the Father is [joined to//in] me? The words that I have spoken to you,” [all of you//Jesus said to his disciples,] “do not come from me. The Father, who remains [joined with//in] me, does his own work [through me//0].
11 Believe me when I say that I am [joined as one with//in] the Father and the Father is [one with//in] me. If not, believe because of the things I do.
13 And I will do whatever you ask for in [order to bring glory to me//my name], so that the Father's glory will be shown through the Son.
14 If you ask me for anything [for the sake of my glory//in my name], I will do it.
20 When that day comes, you will know that I am [joined as one with//in] my Father and that you are [one with//in] me, just as I am [one with//in] you.

NLT Translation notes:
John 14:10 Don’t you believe that I am [joined as one with// in] the Father and the Father is [joined as one with// in] me? The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me.
[This is the same concept that we will see pictured as the vine metaphor in the next chapter!]
11 Just believe that I am [joined as one with// in] the Father and the Father is [joined with// in] me. Or at least believe because of the work you have seen me do.
13 You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that [I, as ] the Son can bring glory to [my/the] Father. 14Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!
17 He is the Holy Spirit, who [will lead you//leads] into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.f
20 When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am [joined as one with/in] my Father, and you are [joined as one with/in] me, and I am [joined with/in] you.
22 Judas (not [the] Judas [from the village of Carioth//Iscariot], but the other disciple with that name) said to him, “Lord, why are you going to reveal yourself only to us and not to the world at large?”


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment