Friday, July 21, 2017

GN-DBRP_203 JER.3 JER.4 PSA.139 JHN.18.19-40


JEREMIAH 3-4:
From yesterday’s reading I highlight 1:12, where God says, “I am watching to see that my words come true.” In Hebrew the word ‘watching’ is a play on words.

Yesterday we also read Jeremiah 2:13, which is one of the most frequently quoted verses from this book. Look at it in context starting at verse 11:

Jer. 2:11 No other nation has ever changed its gods,
even though they were not real.
But my people have exchanged me,
the God who has brought them honor,
for gods that can do nothing for them.
12 And so I command the sky to shake with horror,
to be amazed and astonished,
13 for my people have committed two sins:
they have turned away from me,
the spring of fresh water,
and they have dug cisterns,
cracked cisterns that can hold no water at all.

PSALM 139:
What a contrast with what we just read! Our God searches us out and knows all about us. This psalm has been a great comfort to many.

JOHN 18b:
Jesus knew he was walking inexorably to the cross. To me it is interesting that in Jesus’ short time with the governor of the land, he brought the focus to the concept of ‘truth’.

GNT Translation notes:
Jer. 4:2 [NLT Then when you swear by my name, saying,
‘As surely as the LORD lives,’
you could do so
with truth, justice, and righteousness.
Then you would be a blessing to the nations of the world,
and all people would come and praise [Me//my name[//GNT it will be right for you to swear by my name. Then all the nations will ask me to bless them, and they will praise me.”]
[I was going to bet that the NLT added the words, “As surely as the Lord lives” in order that the idea of ‘swear’ing not be taken in the sense of taking the name of the Lord in vain. That can also be called ‘swearing’ in English. But I find that my assumption was wrong! It seems that GNT left out the Hebrew words ‘YHWH live’, and even literal versions translate the two words like NLT. I think this may be one of the few places where one could defensibly say that GNT made a mistake, and the CEV translators must have simply have followed it without checking the Hebrew.]
====
Ps. 139:18 If I counted them, they would be more than the grains of sand. [And] When I awake, I am still with you.
====
John 18:33 Pilate went back into the palace and called Jesus.[and asked him,] “[So,] Are you the king of the Jews?” [0//he asked him.]
37 So Pilate asked him, “Are you a king, then?”
Jesus answered, “[NIV You are right in saying I am a king.//You say that I am a king.] I was born and came into the world for this one purpose, to speak about the truth. Whoever belongs to the truth listens to me.”
38 “And what is truth?” Pilate asked.
Then Pilate went back outside to the people and said to them, “I cannot find any reason to condemn him.

NLT Translation notes:
Jer. 4:2 Then when you swear by my name, saying,
‘As surely as the LORD lives,’
you could do so
with truth, justice, and righteousness.
Then you would be a blessing to the nations of the world,
and all people would come and praise [Me//my name].”
====
John 18:22 Then one of the Temple guards standing nearby slapped Jesus across the face. [He snapped,] “Is that the way to answer the high priest?” [/he demanded.]
24 Then (retired high priest) Annas bound Jesus and sent him to Caiaphas, the (current) high priest.
28 Jesus’ trial before Caiaphas ended in the early hours of the morning. Then he was taken to the headquarters of the Roman governor.f His accusers didn’t go inside because it would defile them, and [they would not be able//they wouldn’t be allowed to] celebrate the Passover.
30 [The Jewish leaders replied,] “We wouldn’t have handed him over to you if he weren’t a criminal!” [/they retorted].
35 [Pilato snapped back,] “Am I a Jew?” [/Pilate retorted.] “Your own people and their leading priests brought you to me for trial. Why? What have you done?”


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment