Saturday, July 1, 2017

GN-DBRP_183 1KI.15 1KI.16 PSA.119.161-176 JHN.8.28-59


1KINGS 15-16:
I think yesterday's story of the ‘man of God from Judah’ and the ‘old prophet from Bethel’ to be one of the most fascinating in the Bible. Prophets who lie will certainly be judged harshly by God! And we will see in 2nd Kings that the prophecy of the unnamed man of God from Judah was completely fulfilled. Also in yesterday’s reading, we heard Ahijah's prophecy against Jeroboam. We also heard of the end of the reign of Rehoboam, Solomon's son. And do you think that Shishak took the ark of the covenant to Egypt?

PSALM 119:161-176:
This our last reading in this Psalm. I marked the last two verses from yesterday’s reading:

Ps. 119:159 See how I love your instructions, Lord.
Your love never changes, so save me!
160 GNT The heart of your law is truth,
and all your righteous judgments are eternal.
//NLT The very essence of your words is truth;
all your just regulations will stand forever.

JOHN 8b:
The story of the woman caught in adultery shows so many things: Jesus' authority, his wisdom in defeating the Pharisees, his mercy, and that being forgiven does not give one license to continue in sin. Yesterday we also read one of Jesus' seven great ‘I am’ statements found in this Gospel: “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”

GNT Translation notes:
John 8:33 [Some there said,] “We are the descendants of Abraham,” [0//they answered,] “and we have never been anybody's slaves. What do you mean, then, by saying, ‘You will be free’?”
48 They [said//asked Jesus], “Were we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon in you?”
[It seems unnatural in English to use ‘asked’ when the question is rhetorical.]

NLT Translation notes:
John 8:9 When the accusers heard this, they slipped away one by one, beginning with the oldest, until only Jesus was left [[0//in the middle of the crowd] with the woman.
[This was new to me today! This is the first time I have noticed that perhaps not everyone left (as I have seen in the movies), but just the accusers. This makes good sense, actually. According to the grammar of Greek, I believe that the previous speakers (the Pharisees) would be the logical subject of ‘hearing this’.]
28 So Jesus said, “[I am the Son of Man, and] When you have lifted [Me] up [0//the Son of Man] on the cross, then you will understand that I AM he.g I do nothing on my own but say only what the Father taught me.
43 Why can’t you understand what I am saying? It’s because you can’t even [listen to//hear me!


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment