Tuesday, June 30, 2015

2015DBRP_182 1King13-14 Ps119j John8a


How could such a wise man make such stupid choices?! Part of the answer is the corruption caused when one has too much power. And there is something truly sticky about sexual sin. We hear the results today.

Translation notes:

15Then [the old prophet//he] said to the man of God, “Come home with me and eat some food.”
29So the [old] prophet laid the body of the man of God on the donkey and took it back to the town to mourn over him and bury him.
31Afterward the [old] prophet said to his sons, “When I die, bury me in the grave where the man of God is buried. Lay my bones beside his bones.

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/1ki.13.nlt

 

Today we read the stanzas for Qoph and Resh.

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/psa.119

 

The temple guards were ordered to arrest Jesus, but when they came back empty handed they simply said, “We have never heard anyone speak like this.”

Translation notes:

9When the accusers heard this, they slipped away one by one, beginning with the oldest, until only Jesus was left [[0//in the middle of the crowd] with the woman.

This was new to me today! This is the first time I have noticed that perhaps not everyone left (as I have seen in the movies), but just the accusers. This makes good sense, actually. According to the grammar of Greek, I believe that the previous speakers (the Pharisees) would be the logical subject of ‘hearing this’.

28So Jesus said, “[I am the Son of Man, and] When you have lifted [Me] up [0//the Son of Man] on the cross, then you will understand that I AM he.g I do nothing on my own but say only what the Father taught me.
43Why can’t you understand what I am saying? It’s because you can’t even [listen to//hear me!

 

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/jhn.8


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment