Saturday, June 27, 2015

2015DBRP_179 1King8 Ps119g John6b


Yesterday we heard lots and lots of details about the building of the temple. A man from Tyre, Huram, must have been a wonderful and artistic technician in working with bronze casting. He corresponds to the two craftsmen who designed and constructed the first tabernacle.

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/1ki.8.nlt

 

Again we are focussing on what God’s Word means to us.

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/psa.119

 

There is an important play on words between Jesus and the crowd in Capernaum which did not come out in yesterday’s reading of the NLT. It involves the word ‘work’. I have made an adjustment to fix that which I will read today. Here is the modification:

27[Don’t//But don’t] be so concerned about perishable things like food. [Work instead to gain//Spend your energy seeking] the eternal life that the Son of Manf can give you. For God the Father has given me the seal of his approval.”

28They replied, “We want to perform God’s works, too. What should we do?”
29Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.”

 

Translation notes:

27[Don’t//But don’t] be so concerned about perishable things like food. [Work instead to gain//Spend your energy seeking] the eternal life that the Son of Manf can give you. For God the Father has given me the seal of his approval.”
53So Jesus said again, “I [, the Son of Man,] tell you the truth, unless you eat [my flesh//the flesh of the Son of Man] and drink [My/his] blood, you cannot have eternal life within you.
56Anyone who eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains [joined to//in] me, and I [remain joined to//in] him.
62Then what will you think if you see [Me, the Son of Man, ascending//the Son of Man ascend] to heaven again?
68Simon [who is also called] Peter replied, “Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life.
71He was speaking of Judas, son of [the] Simon [that was from the village of Cariot//Iscariot], one of the Twelve, who would later betray him.

 

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/jhn.6


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment