Friday, March 4, 2016

DBRP_065 LEV.25 PSA.23 LUK.16


Today we read LEVITICUS 25.

Yesterday we heard about the seven important yearly celebrations of the Jewish religion. Then we heard about oil and bread for the tabernacle, and then there was the example of a law-breaker who was stoned to death for his crime of blasphemy.

PSALM 23:

Today we read the most famous psalm of all. My wife has often said: Psalm 23 is so often quoted at funerals, but this is a psalm about living, not dying!

Translation notes:
v1-3 I have read this using second person ‘You’ for God, in order to make it clear that David is praying right from the start of this Psalm.
4 [CEV 4 I may walk through valleys
as dark as death,
but I won't be afraid.
You are with me,
and your shepherd's rod d
makes me feel safe.//NLT Even when I walk
through the dark valley of death, 1
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.]
5 You prepare a banquet for me, [right] where all my enemies can see me; you welcome me as an honored guest and fill my cup to the brim.

Opening to LUKE 16:

Yesterday in Luke 15, we heard the three-part parable of the lost sheep, lost coin, and lost son. There is much treasure to dig for there! Consider taking some time to reflect on that wonderful chapter.

Translation notes:
6 ‘One hundred barrels of olive oil,’ he answered. ‘Here is your account,’ the manager told him; ‘sit down and [change it to//write] fifty.’
7 Then he asked another one, ‘And you—how much do you owe?’ ‘A thousand bushels of wheat,’ he answered. ‘Here is your account,’ the manager told him; ‘[change it to//write] eight hundred.’

 


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment