Thursday, August 6, 2015

2015DBRP_219 Jer34-35 Pro4a 1Cor12


In yesterday's reading, Jeremiah said these frequently quoted words— where the Lord is speaking: “Ask me and I will tell you remarkable secrets you do not know about things to come.” Even though these are often quoted, I don't really think that these words apply to us. Or if they do, we should pray along this line about understanding God's Word and the issues mentioned in Romans 12:2.

Another famous passage in yesterday's reading in Jeremiah is this: “This is what the LORD says: If you can break my covenant with the day and the night so that one does not follow the other, only then will my covenant with my servant David be broken. Only then will he no longer have a descendant to reign on his throne.”

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/jer.34.nlt

Lady Wisdom appears again today, as she did yesterday. And these verses stood out to me yesterday:

My child, don’t lose sight of common sense and discernment.
Hang on to them,

You can go to bed without fear;
you will lie down and sleep soundly.
You need not be afraid of sudden disaster
or the destruction that comes upon the wicked,
for the LORD is your security.

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/pro.4

I think it bears looking closely any time an apostle becomes vehement in his language. One case came in yesterday’s chapter:

But if anyone wants to argue about this, I simply say that we have no other custom than this, and neither do God’s other churches.

Since Paul has given such a clear warning, I think it behooves us to not write off what Paul was saying as just a cultural instruction that is no longer relevant.

Secondly, about the Lord’s Supper, it is clear that Communion should be a solemn, dignified, and thought-provoking time. It should not be allowed to become routine or given no more thought than coffee and doughnuts. Beware that failure to give proper respect causes offending churches to come under the Lord’s discipline, which can cause sickness. I prefer the interpretation that discerning the body of the Lord in that passage refers to the communion element, not to the Body Of Christ, the church.

Translation note:

29Are we all apostles? [No.] Are we all prophets? [No.] Are we all teachers? [No.] Do we all have the power to do miracles?  [No.]

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/1co.12


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment