Wednesday, February 22, 2017

GN-DBRP_054 LEV.5 LEV.6 PSA.12 LUK.9.1-36


LEVITICUS 5-6:
Yesterday we read about sacrifices given for unintentional sins and for peace offerings. And I said that we would hear about offerings for intentional sins today.

PSALM 12:
In Psalm 12, we hear of trusting in God's promises even in the midst of hard times.

LUKE 9a:
Yesterday to the woman healed of bleeding, Jesus said, “It is because you believe in me that you are healed.” And to Jairus, He said, “ Don’t be afraid. Just keep on believing in Me.”

GNT Translation note:
Ps. 12:6 The [words//promises] of the Lord can be trusted;
they are as genuine as silver
refined seven times in the furnace.
[The Hebrew word here is not specific to just promises. But on the other hand, in this context, this verse is responding to the Lord’s promise in verse 5. So GNT’s translation is fine. However one can see the influence of the GNT on other translations by looking at this verse.]
====
Mrk. 9:8 Others were saying that [the prophet] Elijah had appeared, and still others that one of the prophets of long ago had come back to life.
18 One day when Jesus was praying alone, the disciples came to him. “[What role do the crowds say that I am fulfilling?//Who do the crowds say I am?]” he asked them.
19 “Some say that you are [taking the role of] John the Baptist,” they answered. “Others say that you are [taking the role of the prophet] Elijah, while others say that one of the prophets of long ago has come back to life.”
20 “What about you?” he asked them. “[What do you say about me?//Who do you say I am?]”
Peter answered, “You are God's Messiah.”
22 He also told them, “[I, the//The Son] of Man must suffer much and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the teachers of the Law. [I//He] will be put to death, but three days later [I//he] will be raised to life.”
26 If you are ashamed of me[, the Son of Man,] and of my teaching, then [I//the Son of Man] will be ashamed of you when [I come in my//he comes in his] glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

NLT Translation notes:
Ps. 12:5 The LORD replies, “I have seen [your violence done against
the helpless,//violence done to the helpless,]
and I have heard the groans of the poor.
6 [Your promises, O LORD,//The LORD’s promises] are pure,
like silver refined in a furnace,
purified seven times over.
====
Mrk. 9:18 One day Jesus left the crowds to pray alone. Only his disciples were with him, and he asked them, “[According to the crowds, whose position am I ministering in?”/ /According to what the people are saying, whose position am I apparently filling?”//Who do people say I am?”]
[In English, the answer to “Who do people say I am?” would be “Jesus”— his name. This is a case where one has to use more words than the original to capture the same intent.]
19 “Well,” they replied, “some say the position of John the Baptist, some say [taking Elijah's place//Elijah], and others say you are one of the other ancient prophets risen from the dead.”
20 Then he asked them, “But [whose place do you say I am filling?”//who do you say I am?”]
21 Jesus warned his disciples not to tell anyone [about this//who he was].
22 “[I, the//The] Son of Man must suffer many terrible things,”he said. “[I/He] will be rejected by the elders, the leading priests, and the teachers of religious law. [I/He] will be killed, but on the third day [I/he] will be raised from the dead.”
23 Then he said to the crowd, “[PET  Everyone who wants to follow Me has to leave his own self interests and follow Me every day, thinking like this, I will keep following the Lord even to the point of death— even death by crucifixion!’//If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me.]
44 “Listen to me and remember what I say. [I, the Son of Man am//The Son of Man is] going to be betrayed into the hands of [my/his] enemies.”
58 But Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but [I,/0] the Son of Man, has no place even to lay [my/his] head.”


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment