Thursday, January 19, 2017

NL-DBRP_020 GEN.34 GEN.35 JOB.20 MRK.12.24-44


GENESIS 34-35:
Yesterday we heard about Jacob wrestling all night with a mysterious heavenly figure, and about Jacob's reunion with Esau.

JOB 20:
This chapter is Zophar’s second response to Job. In chapter 19, Job responded to Bildad's second speech. Job expressed amazing belief that he would see his defender (often translated ‘redeemer’). He says,

25 But I know there is someone in heaven
who will come at last to my defense.
26 Even after my skin is eaten by disease,
while still in this body I will see God.
27 I will see him with my own eyes,
and he will not be a stranger.

MARK 12b:
Yesterday in the first half of Mark 12, Jesus told a pointed parable against the Jewish religious leaders, then he went on to refute the Sadducees. We re-read several verses today.

NLT Translation notes:
Gen. 34:17 But if you don’t agree to be circumcised, we will take [Dinah/her] and be on our way.”
30 Afterward Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, “You have ruined me! You’ve made me stink among all the people of this land—among all the Canaanites and Perizzites. We are so few [, and now//that] they will join forces and crush us. I will be ruined, and my entire household will be wiped out!”
15 And Jacob named the place Bethel (which means “house of God”), because God had spoken to him [again/0] there.
====
Mrk. 12:26 “But now, as to whether the dead will be raised— haven’t you ever read about this in the writings of Moses, in the story of the burning bush? Long after Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob had died, God said to Moses, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’ 27 So he is the God of the living, not the dead. You have made a serious error.”
[In my reading in the 019, I modified the translation like this, “I am the God Abraham worships… (present tense).” While this is justified in stating Jesus’ meaning at that point in the discourse, it is going too far in translating the Hebrew and Greek of the Old Testament passage. Jesus’ point is that the continuing relationship of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is implicit in God’s statement. So, I admit my mistake, and say that to make that explicit in the translation is going a bit too far.]
37 Since David himself called the Messiah ‘my Lord,’ how can the Messiah [just/0] be his son?” The large crowd listened to him with great delight.


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment