Thursday, July 14, 2016

DBRP_197 2KI.21 2KI.22 PSA.133 JHN.15


2KINGS 21-22:
The Assyrian king mocked the God of Israel at the end of chapter 18. We heard God's answer yesterday in chapter 19, and we were introduced to the prophet Isaiah. Hezekiah asked to live for a longer time, and his request was granted. I have heard that there is actually scientific proof of the long day miracle that was given to Hezekiah. What a shame that he did not ask God not to send his sons to Babylon!

Translation note:
21:4 He built pagan altars in the Temple, the place that the Lord had said was where [he, the Lord//he] should be worshiped.

PSALM 133:
This Psalm of Ascent comes at a very fitting time in relation to our readings yesterday and today in John. If we are _one_ with Jesus, then we are _one_ with one another.

Rereading JOHN 15:
Today we hear again about our vital relationship of oneness with Jesus. We didn’t actually choose Him! Before we chose Him He had already chosen us. If you are one who has difficulty believing that there is anything good about you, let your identity and worth be based on this passage! Here also we find the promise repeated of answered prayers when we pray for the sake of Jesus’ name— which is to say, for his cause or for his glory. Note that this is not just ‘dropping or using Jesus’ name’. God realizes when we are praying selfish prayers, and He is not fooled by our tacking on ‘in Jesus name’ at the end.

NLT Translation note:
16 You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, [for my name’s sake/for the sake of my glory//_using_ my name (NLT)].
[This must be one of the worst mistakes in the NLT! We don’t simply ‘use’ Jesus’ name and cash in on this promise! The idea is NOT simply ‘dropping’ Jesus’ name! This translation shows that the translator has been affected by modern Christian culture and did not consider what this really means. But then, I must admit, every translator— including me, falls in this regard from time to time, and that is why it is said in the NIV introduction, “No translation is perfect.”]

GNT Translation notes:
4 Remain [joined as one//united] to me, and I will remain [joined as one//united] to you. A branch cannot bear fruit by itself; it can do so only if it remains [joined to//in] the vine. In the same way you cannot bear fruit unless you remain [joined to//in] me.
5 “I am the vine, and you are the branches. Those who remain [joined to//in] me, and I [with//in] them, will bear much fruit; for you can do nothing without me.
6 Those who do not remain [joined with//in] me are thrown out like a branch and dry up; such branches are gathered up and thrown into the fire, where they are burned.
7 If you remain [joined to//in] me and my words remain in you, then you will ask for anything you wish, and you shall have it.
16 You did not choose me; I chose you and appointed you to go and bear much fruit, the kind of fruit that endures. And so the Father will give you whatever you ask of him [for the sake of my glory//in my name].


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment