Wednesday, July 13, 2016

DBRP_196 2KI.19 2KI.20 PSA.132 JHN.15


2KINGS 19-20:
The writer of 1 & 2 Kings was very brief about the sins of the people of Israel (in both kingdoms) until what we heard yesterday. He seems to have saved the moral of the story until chapter 17. And then we have the wonderful contrast with Hezekiah in chapter 18. Then the Asyrian king mocked the God of Israel at the end of chapter 18. We hear God's answer today.

PSALM 132:
It would appear that Solomon wrote this Psalm of Ascent, as part of it was quoted by him at the dedication of the temple.

Translation note:
14 [He says,] “This is where I will live forever; this is where I want to rule.

 

JOHN 15:
Yesterday we heard Jesus promise that He would send our Advocate/Comforter/Helper, the Holy Spirit. The Spirit is the one who literally ‘comes along beside’ and will lead us into all truth and be with us forever. And I think it is really due to Him that we can have “a peace that the world cannot give or understand.”

Translation notes:
[When talking of the organic unity of a branch and a vine, we don’t say a branch ‘in’ a vine, do we?! Greek says it that way. But it is much more natural it English to say a branch is ‘joined’ or is ‘connected’, and various other words. Because of this, we also tend to miss out on the meaning of ‘in Him/Christ’ that comes up so often in the New Testament. The meaning is NOT that we are ‘inside’ Him, but that we are joined as one with him.]
4 GNT Remain [joined as one//united] to me, and I will remain [joined as one//united] to you. A branch cannot bear fruit by itself; it can do so only if it remains [joined to//in] the vine. In the same way you cannot bear fruit unless you remain [joined to//in] me.
5 “I am the vine, and you are the branches. Those who remain [joined to//in] me, and I [with//in] them, will bear much fruit; for you can do nothing without me.
6 Those who do not remain [joined with//in] me are thrown out like a branch and dry up; such branches are gathered up and thrown into the fire, where they are burned.
7 If you remain [joined to//in] me and my words remain in you, then you will ask for anything you wish, and you shall have it.
16 You did not choose me; I chose you and appointed you to go and bear much fruit, the kind of fruit that endures. And so the Father will give you whatever you ask of him [for the sake of my glory//in my name].


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment