Saturday, April 30, 2016

DBRP_122 JOS.22 JOS.23 PSA.77 ACT.27.1-26


Turning to JOSHUA 22-23:

Yesterday we heard the detailed list of the cities of refuge— the cities set apart for anyone who happened to kill someone accidentally. Following that was the list of the towns that were given to the priests and Levites.

PSALM 77:

This psalm by Asaph was dedicated to Jeduthun, whose name means ‘praise giver’. Asaph worries about this: Has God changed? Why doesn’t He help us like He helped the Israelites in the past? I have chosen again to read this from the CEV rather than from the GNT. The CEV makes it clear that this whole poem is a prayer to God.

(A psalm by Asaph for Jeduthun, the music leader.)
1 I pray to you, Lord God,
   and I beg you to listen.
2 In days filled with trouble,
   I search for you.
And at night I tirelessly
lift my hands in prayer,
   refusing comfort.
3 When I think of you,
   I feel restless and weak.
4 Because of you, Lord God,
   I can’t sleep.
I am restless
   and can’t even talk.
5     I think of times gone by,
   of those years long ago.
6 Each night my mind
   is flooded with questions:[a]
7 “Have you rejected me forever?
   Won’t you be kind again?
8 Is this the end of your love
   and your promises?
9 Have you forgotten
   how to have pity?
   Do you refuse to show mercy
   because of your anger?”
10 Then I said, “God Most High,
   what hurts me most
   is that you no longer help us
   with your mighty arm.”

11 Our Lord, I will remember
the things you have done,
   your miracles of long ago.

12 I will think about each one
   of your mighty deeds.
13 Everything you do is right,
   and no other god
   compares with you.
14 You alone work miracles,
   and you have let nations
   see your mighty power.
15 With your own arm you rescued
your people,
   the descendants
   of Jacob and Joseph.

16 The ocean looked at you, God,
   and it trembled deep down
   with fear.
17 Water flowed from the clouds.
   Thunder was heard above
   as your arrows of lightning
   flashed about.
18 Your thunder roared
   like chariot wheels.
The world was made bright
by lightning,
   and all the earth trembled.

19 You walked through the water
   of the mighty sea,
   but your footprints
   were never seen.
20 You guided your people
   like a flock of sheep,
   and you chose Moses and Aaron
   to be their leaders.

We turn for the first time to ACTS 27.

Yesterday we heard Paul's defense before King Agrippa. Paul didn't hesitate to speak convicting ideas to his own judges. Instead of listening, they stood up and left. They admitted that Paul was innocent, but quite frankly, it must have been more politically expedient to get rid of Paul by sending him away to Caesar— in accordance with Paul's own request.

Translation note:
[HCSB By now much time had passed,//We spent a long time there,] [so that it was//until it became] dangerous to continue the voyage, for by now the Day of Atonement was already past. So Paul gave them this advice:


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment