Friday, July 17, 2015

2015DBRP_199 2King24-25 Ps135 John16b


In yesterday’s reading, we heard of Josiah’s reforms, causing the people to renew the covenant with God. That chapter had this telling comment about the Passover:

There had not been a Passover celebration like that since the time when the judges ruled in Israel, nor throughout all the years of the kings of Israel and Judah.

Many times I think people make the assumption that the people of Israel performed all sorts of laws, like the one about the Year of Jubilee. In my opinion, no way.

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/2ki.24.nlt

Olsen’s book gives the title for the chapter on this psalm as, “What kind of God do you have?” That’s a great question to ask to introduce this psalm!

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/psa.135

We are still in the upper room. And today we read all of this chapter, including the important teaching about the Holy Spirit, our Advocate.

Translation notes:

23At that time you won’t need to ask me for anything. I tell you the truth, you will ask the Father directly, and he will grant your request because you [pray for the sake of my glory//use my name].

24You haven’t done this before. [Make requests for the sake of my glory//Ask, using my name], and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy.

26Then you will [make requsts/ask] [for the sake of my glory//in my name]. I’m not saying I will ask the Father on your behalf,

31Jesus [said/asked], “Do you finally believe?

33I have told you all this so that you may have peace [because of being joined with//in me]. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”

https://www.bible.com/bible/68/jhn.16


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment