Tuesday, March 10, 2015

2015DBRP_070 Num4 Ps28 Luke19a


Yesterday we learned that the Levite clans were given separate tasks in the care of the tabernacle. The 12,000 Levites were the substitute for Israel's 12,273 first-born sons.

 

Translation note:

19 This is what you must do so they will live and not die

when they approach the most sacred objects. Aaron and his

sons must always go in with them and assign a specific duty

or load to each [man/person].

 

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/num.4.nlt

We turn to Psalm 28. David cries out to the Lord with all his heart. I love the imagery including the 'rock' and 'shield'.

 

Translation notes:

This psalm starts out speaking directly to the Lord. But starting in verse 5, many English readers will think the psalmist suddenly starts talking _about_ the Lord. This is probably not the case! I interpret the Hebrew here as using the third person as an honorific while still speaking to the Lord. Similarly in English, it is possible to use the third person “Mr. President ... he...” when speaking formally to our president. (I suspect this is seldom done these days.) In my dialect of English, I much prefer making it clear that the psalmist is still speaking to the Lord, not just about the Lord. All the changes below are simply changing ‘he/his’ to ‘you/your’, and ‘the LORD’ to ‘you, LORD’.

 

5 They care nothing for what [You, LORD, have] done

or for what [your] hands have made.

So [You] will tear them down,

and they will never be rebuilt!

 

6 Praise [You] LORD!

For [Youhave] heard my cry for mercy.

 

7 [You,] LORD [are] my strength and shield.

I trust [in You] with all my heart.

[You help] me, and my heart is filled with joy.

I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.

 

8 [You, LORD, give your] people strength.

[You are] a safe fortress for [your] anointed

king.

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/psa.28

 

We turn for the first time to Luke 19. Yesterday in Luke 18, we heard of Jesus' encounter with the rich young man, Jesus again predicted his death, and blind Bartimaeus (as named in Mark) was healed at Jericho.

 

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/luk.19


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment