Thursday, February 19, 2015

2015DBRP_052Papua


Hi Everyone!



I thought I would let everyone know that I arrived in Papua early in the morning of the 17th. I am so glad that I do not need to prepare the daily podcast from this location, as the Internet has been almost non-existent. Sometimes I could get e-mail. However last night, on the 19th, we found that our main problem was a bad modem.

 

I came here this week because I wanted to attend the graduation of a guy I consider my grandson. Mesak is the son of Boas and Ruth. And Boas is the man who— starting in 1985, became my partner in translating the New Testament into the Orya language. (Mesak’s wife is also like a granddaughter through another close friend.) I have seen Mesak grow in the Lord, starting with playing guitar in worship, to becoming a spiritual leader among the college age youth. He graduated on Wednesday with a law degree. I asked him what verse he would share, and he said John 15:5. Jesus says, “I am the vine and you are the branches. Those who remain joined to me and I to them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.” Mesak said that he used to wonder why other people could get up in front of a group and speak. He was too shy to do that. (And I do remember him during that time. He was shy.) But he said that he found this verse as the key. The secret is to stay joined to Christ! Trust Him to help you. And, he said, “It works!” That’s how he, a boy from the jungle, could now be a lawyer. And that’s why God has blessed his ministry among the Orya youth.

 

He said another thing that blessed me: He told how I used to organize spiritual retreats for the Orya people, and he said, “You used to pay for everything.” (And how right he was! Transportation, food, guitar strings, and all.) Then he said this, “And so you are the one who will receive the blessings from God for everything that happened!” (And I’m going, “Wow! You noticed! I must admit I haven’t seen those blessings in full yet, but, Yes! Halleluja, someday! And the interest on those spiritual investments is to be shared with all those who supported us during that time.) Then he said, “That’s the example I give to the Orya people now for the retreats we are having. I am the first one to give in order to encourage others to give. We do everything ourselves now. Now we are, like you, giving to God’s work and gaining heavenly stock in the spiritual work that is happening among our people. And God is blessing us!

 

If you put all that together with him being like my grandson, you will understand why I’m still smiling.

 

I have already been able to work briefly with the two ladies mentioned in my e-mail update. This update is posted in the prayer section of the DD Forum. But you need to be registered to see that section. Yesterday I met two additional people who would like to explore joining our team. Please pray that the Lord will bring us the people He wants to be involved for translating the Old Testament.

 

I have a special announcement: Are any of you listeners from from Eastern Hills Bible Church in Manlius New York? We might expand this announcement to any listener in Syracuse, NY. Could you please contact me using the Send us a Message link at dailybiblereading.info? I would like the leaders of that church to know the Daily Bible Reading podcasts are reaching you.

Mesak IMG_1294.jpg



Below: Mesak and his wife, Terince.

 

Mesak Terince IMG_1308.jpg

 


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment