Tuesday, October 24, 2017

NL-DBRP_298 EZK.23 ISA.7 HEB.3


EZEKIEL 23:
In yesterday’s reading, we heard the Lord promise that he would refine Israel as purifying silver in a crucible. And then we heard the famous and poignant words:

Ez. 23:30 GNT I looked for someone who could build a wall, who could stand in the places where the walls have crumbled and defend the land when my anger is about to destroy it, but I could find no one. //NLT “I looked for someone who might rebuild the wall of righteousness that guards the land. I searched for someone to stand in the gap in the wall so I wouldn’t have to destroy the land, but I found no one.

ISAIAH 7:
Yesterday we heard the story of Isaiah’s vision of the glory of the Lord in the temple. Isaiah’s lips were purified with a coal from the altar. Then after hearing the Lord’s call, he said the famous words, “Here I am. Send me!” And the Lord revealed that his messages would not be received.

Rereading HEBREWS 3:
Yesterday we heard the quote from Ps. 95 that forms the basis for this section. It is because I want the quoted content of this chapter firmly in our minds that I scheduled this chapter to be read twice. The failure of the Israelites was their refusal to believe in the Lord and what He told them. Believing is a volitional act.

GNT Translation notes:
Is. 7:3 The Lord said to [me//Isaiah], “Take your son Shear Jashub, and go to meet King Ahaz. You will find him on the road where the cloth makers work, at the end of the ditch that brings water from the upper pool.
13 To that [I//Isaiah] replied, “Listen, now, descendants of King David. It's bad enough for you to wear out the patience of people—do you have to wear out God's patience too?
====
Heb. 3:1 My [dear fellow believers//Christian friends], who also have been called by God! Think of Jesus, whom God sent [as his representative, and whom we profess as our High Priest// to be the High Priest of the faith we profess].
7 So then, as the Holy Spirit says, “[When//If] you hear [the Lord’s//God's] voice today, 
8 do not be stubborn, as your ancestors were when they rebelled against [me//God], as they were that day in the desert when they put [me//him] to the test.
|19 We see, then, that they were not able to enter the land, because they [refused to//did not] believe.

NLT Translation note:
Heb. 3:19 So we see that [they were unable to enter his rest because they refused to believe him.// because of their unbelief they were not able to enter his rest.]


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment