Friday, May 6, 2016

DBRP_129NewsFromJakarta


Hi Everyone,

It’s been a long time since the last news update in podcast form. I started one before April 1 that would have started with a spoof advertising the DBRP Tour of the Holy Land, and the Digging Deeper Cruise to Alaska. Wow, if we ever did tours or cruises, I hope you would still be friends with me at the end! I hope it is OK that I just read God’s Word to you, without those things.

I am currently in Jakarta. I left home on the 19th of April and arrived here on the 21st. So far I have helped solve some computer problems for our team, had meetings with important people, worked just a little on our Old Testament translation, and made an overnight trip to Bangka Island. Our little Indonesian non-profit organization has two full-time workers here, Daniel and Balazi. Daniel, our operations manager has been with me in the meetings. And Balazi is managing our translation project, so I have spent a few days working with him. I went to Bangka Island to visit Pastor Agus and Kristiana. Kristiana, who previously worked in broadcasting in both radio and TV, is doing a beautiful job in making recordings of the Plain Indonesian New Testament. The thing that really thrilled me was her testimony of how reading the Scripture out loud has been such a blessing to her. I have been posting pictures of various things that catch my eye to our Facebook group, and that includes pictures of Agus and Kristiana. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/DBRPdiggingdeeper/)

By the way, if anyone else posted pictures of something irrelevant to the Digging Deeper group— like food at a restaurant, it would be considered off topic. So I hope that you group members will allow me a little extra license to share because of the uniqueness of where I am. If you read between the lines, I think you will find something to pray about for most of the pictures!

There is now another Bible reading app for Android that has the Digging Deeper Daily reading plan. If you are interested in checking it out, go to the Play Store and search for Quick Bible by Yuku. This app, under the names Alkitab Sabda/Alkitab Yuku, is the most popular Bible app in Indonesia. It is very snappy to use and has some great special features, including words to hymns and the classic Morning and Evening devotions by Charles Spurgeon. To get the Digging Deeper reading plan, use the menu, select Reading Plans, then Download. Then you will find our plan under the NEWEST tab. Be aware that the reading plans in Yuku’s Bible apps do not show the devotional text that can be viewed within the Youversion Bible app or at the DBRP web site. And his apps also do not have the capability to use the Good News Translation or the New Living Translation.

It won’t be too long before we get to Psalm 96. Our fellow missionary and friend, Russ Mitchell, has written a short 122 page book on Psalm 96 entitled Declare His Glory Among the Nations. Russ and Cathy were missionaries in Romania for many years. He has allowed me to offer the book free to you as a limited time download. You can get it by looking at the very bottom of the OurStory page at dailybiblereading.info, or there is a link in the episode notes for this podcast.

http://dailybiblereading.info/?attachment_id=2049

For many browsers you will want to right click on the link and choose ‘Save link as’. A good way to read the PDF file would be to import it into your Kindle app.
Russ’ book is a good example of what you find if you Dig Deeper.

I want to thank all of you who pray for me and Gale back in Arkansas.

 


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment