Thursday, December 11, 2014

DBRP_Dec12_2014 Mic3-4 Is51 Rev3b


In Micah 1 yesterday we heard one of the sections of Hebrew poetry which is virtually impossible to translate and capture the same impact as the original. Micah, expressing his deep sorrow at God’s coming judgment, concatenated many place names in order to highlight the meaning of those names. For instance,

You people in Beth-leaphrah,c

roll in the dust to show your despair.

...the name Beth-leaphrah was chosen because it means ‘house of dust’. Or,

The people of Beth-ezelf mourn,

for their house has no support.

where Bethezel means ‘adjoining house’.

We got down to the end of that passage to this verse:

15O people of Mareshah,l

I will bring a conqueror to capture your town.

And the leadersm of Israel

will go to Adullam.

Now, Mareshah sounds like the Hebrew word ‘conqueror’, but I was disappointed that the NLT didn’t give us a footnote about Adullam. Hmm, we’ve heard that name before, haven’t we?

We have! The note in the NET says, “Heb “to Adullam the glory of Israel will go.” This probably means that the nation’s leadership will run for their lives and, like David of old, hide from their enemy in the caves of Adullam.”

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/mic.3.nlt

 


 

I want to highlight these verses in Isaiah 50 where God showed the thoughts of our Savior in advance of his coming:

4The Sovereign LORD has given me his words of wisdom,

so that I know how to comfort the weary.

Morning by morning he wakens me

and opens my understanding to his will.

5The Sovereign LORD has spoken to me,

and I have listened.

I have not rebelled or turned away.

6I offered my back to those who beat me

and my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard.

I did not hide my face

from mockery and spitting.

The next verse has words that Luke almost quotes in Luke 9:51. In modern versions it is translated as ‘Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem’ but more literally it is ‘Jesus set his face to go toward Jerusalem’. Here what verse 7 says in Isaiah 50:

Therefore, I have set my face like a stone,

determined to do his will.

And I know that I will not be put to shame.

And note that verse 9 might be what inspired Paul to write the last part of Romans 8.

9See, the Sovereign LORD is on my side!

Who will declare me guilty?

There was a precious lady that was attacked by a crippling and fatal disease who shared this with Gale and I. This is a verse you can hang your life on in such a circumstance:

10Who among you fears the LORD

and obeys his servant?

If you are walking in darkness,

without a ray of light,

trust in the LORD

and rely on your God.

11But watch out, you who live in your own light

and warm yourselves by your own fires.

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/isa.51.nlt

 


 

One of the rewards given to the victorious from Philadelphia is this as NIV translates it:

The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it.

That gives the wrong impression to me. “Oh, no, I don’t want to be made into a pillar and not be able to move!” NLT gives the right idea with neat economy of words like this:

12All who are victorious will become pillars in the Temple of my God, and they will never have to leave it.

Another part of their reward is this:

And I will write on them the name of my God, and they will be citizens in the city of my God—the new Jerusalem that comes down from heaven from my God. And I will also write on them my new name.

People get very concerned about the mark of the beast in Revelation 13. Observe here something that you will see throughout this book: Everyone gets a mark of ownership upon them, including all the saints, and even Jesus has a mark on his forehead.

 

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/rev.3

 


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment