Saturday, August 5, 2017

NE-DBRP_002


You’ve come back for the second episode! That’s great! This is day number 2 in the Digging Deeper Daily reading plan, and this is in the NE series, which means we will read from the N.E.T.

I suggest listening to the Daily Bible Reading Podcast episodes using any player that will allow you to see the full episode notes, and I suggest everyone try our dedicated listening app for Android and Apple devices. If you’re reading along with the podcast, I recommend following the Digging Deeper Daily reading plan within the Youversion Bible reading app. The days of that plan match each day number in this podcast series. However, please note: The Devotional Content page for every day’s readings in Youversion reading app is limited to only 400 words. Look inside your podcast player app for the complete episode notes.  If you listen while driving to work, you obviously should not be looking at the episode notes. But there may be something you hear— such as the mention of a link, or an alternative translation, that you will want to check out when you aren’t driving.

For digging deeper in the NET Bible, the bible.org folks in Dallas have created a fantastic coordinated Bible study environment found at lumina.bible.org. There are also other great free Bible study tools on the Internet, and I list my favorites on the Shovels page at dailybiblereading .info.

You will note that when I read the Bible text, I read most of the person and place names phonetically— rather than the using normal English pronunciation. This means that the letter A will have a consistent sound ‘ah’ and the letter I will be pronounced ‘ee’. This makes the names sound more like they are pronounced in most of the world’s major languages. Pronouncing the names this way also makes them sound more like they were pronounced in the Biblical source languages— Hebrew and Greek. That’s my practice when reading the actual Bible text, but when I make introductions or comments, I read the normal English pronunciations of the names.

The Scripture texts quoted are from the NET Bible®, which can be found at http://netbible.org. The copyright© dates are 1996-2016, and this text is used by permission of Biblical Studies Press, L.L.C.  All rights reserved.
See complete information about all DBR podcasts at dailybiblereading.info.

GENESIS 3-4:
In chapter 2 of Genesis, we saw that Eve was created and introduced to Adam. And the pair at the end of the chapter were “naked and not embarrassed/unashamed.” As I said in yesterday’s introduction, I have seen first-hand in my work in Indonesia that when a people group misunderstands and twists the story in Genesis 1-3, it will have far-reaching consequences for their lives. In the case of the Orya people, twisting the story of the fall caused much suffering and misery among families.

JOB 2:
The book of Job is likeny to be the oldest book of poetry in the Bible. However, note that the first two chapters, the prologue of this book, are in prose. The reason I designed the Digging Deeper Daily reading plan to include just one chapter per day in Old Testament poetry is that poetry is a harder genre to read and appreciate. This works well through much of the Old Testament, but unfortunately it doesn’t work so well for the book of Job. When we get into this book, there will be speeches by certain characters that go for several chapters. So, in such passages, please attempt to keep in mind who is talking and what was said by that same speaker before.

At the close of chapter 1, Job had lost virtually everything he had, including his possessions, livestock, and children. He said, “I came naked from my mother’s womb, and I will be naked when I leave. The Lord gave me what I had, and the Lord has taken it away. Praise the name of the Lord!” Here is our second prose chapter before the poetry begins.

MARK 1b:
In our first reading in Mark 1, Jesus was baptized by John, called his first disciples, and cast out an evil spirit from a man in a synagogue.

NET Translation notes:n. 3:20 The man named his wife Eve, because she was [to be] the mother of all the living.  Gen. 3:21 The Lord God made garments from [animals’ skins//skin] for Adam and his wife, and clothed them.
====
Job 1:21 [GNT He said, “I was born with nothing, and I will die with nothing. The Lord gave, and now he has taken away. May his name be praised!”//NET He said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will return there.The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away.]
[Job wasn’t going to return to his mother’s womb! It is always better in my opinion for a translation of NET’s type to put the meaning in the Bible text, and the literal in a footnote, not the other way around!]
Job 2:3 Then the LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? For there is no one like him on the earth, a pure and upright man, one who fears God and turns away from evil. And he still holds firmly to his integrity, so that [it was in vain that you stirred me up to destroy him.// you stirred me up to destroy him without reason.]”
Job 2:7 So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD, and he afflicted Job with [malignant ulcers//a malignant ulcer] from the sole of his feet to the top of his head.
Job 2:10 But he replied, “You’re talking like one of the godless women would do! Should we [just] receive what is good from God, and not also receive what is evil?” In all this Job did not sin by what he said.
Job 2:12 But when they gazed intently [at him] from a distance but [could barely//did not] recognize him, they began to weep loudly. Each of them tore his robes, and they threw dust into the air over their heads."
====
Mark 1:31 He came and raised her up by [0//gently] taking her hand. Then the fever left her and she began to serve them.
[I’m sure that Jesus would have done the action of taking her hand and raising her up gently. But the ‘gently’ idea is nowhere in Greek. The Greek word ‘kratesas’ often has a much stronger meaning, like ‘seize’, ‘take hold’, or ‘grasp’.]
Mark 1:33 [It was as if] The whole town gathered by the door."
[It is likely that hyperbole is intended here.]
Mark 1:38 He replied, “Let us go elsewhere, into the surrounding villages, so that I can preach there too. For that is [why I came.//what I came out here to do.]”
[I agree with NIV/HCSB that Jesus was speaking in a broader way (and perhaps broader than the disciples would have understood it). The reason he came and started his ministry was to give the message of the Good News. He went to the deserted place to pray.]
40 Now a leper came to him and fell to his knees, asking for help. “If you are willing, you can [heal me and] make me clean,” he said.
41 Moved with compassion, Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing. Be [healed and] clean!”"
Mark 1:44 He told him, “See that you do not say anything to anyone, but go [and//,] show yourself to [one of the priests//a priest], and bring the offering that Moses commanded for your cleansing, as a testimony to [everyone//them].”


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment