Friday, June 30, 2017

GN-DBRP_182 1KI.13 1KI.14 PSA.119.145-160 JHN.8.1-30


1KINGS 13-14:
Solomon was the wisest of men. So how could he make such stupid choices?! Part of the answer is the corruption caused when one has too much power. And there is something truly sticky about sexual sin. The Lord’s judgment is evident in what happened with the division of the country, and what happened in the northern kingdom. Note also how the people Judah followed all the bad parts of Solomon’s example, which again will lead to judgment.

PSALM 119:145-160:
I like the last three verses of yesterday’s reading:

Ps. 119:142 Your righteousness will last forever,
and your law is always true.
143 I am filled with trouble and anxiety,
but your commandments bring me joy.
144 Your instructions are always just;
give me understanding, and I shall live.

JOHN 8a:
The temple guards were ordered to arrest Jesus, but when they came back empty handed they simply said, “We have never heard anyone speak like this.”

There is a fascinating little detail I just saw in John 7:17-18 as translated by GNT. Jesus said, “Whoever is thirsty should come to me, and 38 whoever believes in me should drink. As the scripture says, ‘Streams of life-giving water will pour out from _his_ side.’” First I want you to know that the word translated ‘side’ can be translated as belly or intestines. But since that word was also used as the seat of emotions, it can also be translated in English as ‘heart’— which is the word we used for the seat of emotions. But for now, let’s keep the word ‘side’. Streams of life-giving water will pour out from ‘his side’. Whose side is Jesus meaning?! Here’s one of those double meanings I mentioned as a feature of this Gospel. As most often understood and translated, streams of living water will flow from the believer’s inner being. But when Jesus was stabbed by the spear in chapter 19, John made a big deal that he saw both water and blood flow out. The ‘his side’ that Jesus could be meaning in this OT quote could be his own side! Jesus could have meant either, or He could have intentionally given one of the most precious double meanings of all! In either case, the water is a sign for the Holy Spirit.

GNT Translation notes:
11 “No one, sir,” she answered. “Well, then,” Jesus said, “I do not condemn you either. Go, but do not sin again.”]

NLT Translation notes:
1Kings 13:15 Then [the old prophet//he] said to the man of God, “Come home with me and eat some food.”
29 So the [old] prophet laid the body of the man of God on the donkey and took it back to the town to mourn over him and bury him.
31 Afterward the [old] prophet said to his sons, “When I die, bury me in the grave where the man of God is buried. Lay my bones beside his bones.
====
John 8:9 When the accusers heard this, they slipped away one by one, beginning with the oldest, until only Jesus was left [[0//in the middle of the crowd] with the woman.
[This was new to me today! This is the first time I have noticed that perhaps not everyone left (as I have seen in the movies), but just the accusers. This makes good sense, actually. According to the grammar of Greek, I believe that the previous speakers (the Pharisees) would be the logical subject of ‘hearing this’.]
28 So Jesus said, “[I am the Son of Man, and] When you have lifted [Me] up [0//the Son of Man] on the cross, then you will understand that I AM he. I do nothing on my own but say only what the Father taught me.
43 Why can’t you understand what I am saying? It’s because you can’t even [listen to//hear me!


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment