Tuesday, June 21, 2016

DBRP_174 2SA.24 PSA.119.17-32 JHN.4.1-26


2SAMUEL 24:

Yesterday we heard David’s final words and the listing of the 38 mighty warriors who loyally helped David in his victories. Note that Uriah the Hittite was so poignantly included at the end of the list. And this 24th chapter seems like a postscript.

PSALM 119:17-32

Yesterday’s reading included two of the most famous verses from this psalm:

9 How can a young person stay pure?
By obeying your word.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.

We turn for the first time to JOHN 4.

Yesterday in John 3 we heard the words of John the Baptist at what I consider his finest hour. That was where he said, “He (Jesus) must grow greater and greater, and I must become less and less.” This is a worthy goal for all of us.

Translation notes:
10 Jesus answered, “If you only knew what God gives and who [I am who//it is that] is asking you for a drink, you would ask [Me, and I//him, and he] would give you life-giving water.”
21 NLT Jesus replied, “Believe me, [0//GNT woman//NLT dear woman], the time is coming when it will no longer matter whether you worship the Father on this mountain or in Jerusalem.
[I don’t think there is any good equivalent in English for the Greek here. GNT runs the risk of sounding terribly rude, while NLT runs the risk of misunderstanding the ‘dear’ness of the woman to Jesus.]

 


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment