Tuesday, January 13, 2015

2015DBRP_014 Gen25-26 Job14 Mrk9a


I encourage you to Dig Deeper. In order to help you with that, there are Internet tools for digging deeper at the Shovels page of the dailybiblereading.info web site. And when you find an especially precious insight, please share it with us via the Digging Deeper Forum. Or do you have a spiritual issue that you would like to ask someone about? Our moderators at the forum will answer you privately and confidentially. You can also submit a prayer request for the Prayer Closet part of the forum.

Yesterday in Genesis 24 we heard the charming story of how

Rebecca became Isaac's wife.

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/gen.25

In Job 13, Job challenged is friends,

7 “Are you defending God with lies?

Do you make your dishonest arguments for his

sake?

8 Will you slant your testimony in his favor?

Will you argue God’s case for him?

9 What will happen when he finds out what you

are doing?

Can you fool him as easily as you fool people?

...

14 Yes, I will take my life in my hands

and say what I really think.

15 God might kill me, but I have no other hope.

I am going to argue my case with him.

16 But this is what will save me—I am not godless.

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/job.14

Yesterday at the end of Mark 8, Jesus gave this requirement for

all his followers:

Anyone among you who wants to be my follower must do this: You must leave your selfish ways, take up the cross which is meant for you, and follow me.

PET: Everyone who wants to follow Me must leave his own self interests, and follow Me continually with this resolve, ‘No matter if I die— even if that be by crucifixion, I will keep following the Lord!’

The rest of the chapter has other important verses

including this one:

If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will save it.

Translation notes:

1 Jesus went on to

say, “I tell you the truth, some standing here right now will not die before they see [God coming and setting up his Kingdom on earth to reign in great power!//the Kingdom of God arrive in great power!]

In most languages (and I really think we need to include English) kingdoms don't 'come' or 'arrive'. Similarly, cabbages don't read books. Such things are collocational clashes. The kingdom of North America doesn't move to South America! The Lord's prayer is a famous example. Instead of 'May your kingdom come' it is better in most of the world's languages to say, “May You come and reign here as king.”

9As they went back down the mountain, he told them

not to tell anyone what they had seen until [He,/0] the Son of Man had risen from the dead.

12 Jesus responded, “[That's right.//0] Elijah is [0/indeed] coming to come first to get everything ready. Yet why do the

Scriptures say that [I,/0] the Son of Man, must suffer greatly

and be treated with utter contempt?

25 When Jesus saw that the crowd of onlookers was growing, he rebuked the evil f spirit. “Listen, you [demon/spirit]

[who/that] makes this boy unable to hear and speak,” he

said. “I command you to come out of this child and never

enter him again!”

26 Then the [evil/0] spirit screamed and threw the boy into

another violent convulsion and left him. The boy appeared

to be dead. A murmur ran through the crowd as people said,

“He’s dead.”

29 Jesus replied, “[That/This] kind can be cast out only by

prayer. ”

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/mrk.9


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment